Monday, January 31, 2011

Raise Your Hand for Chocolate Milk

Sooo... I don't usually blog about other public awareness campaigns, but I felt sad for this one since it only had 16,000 signatures on the petition. That's like, maybe the population of the town of Camden-Wyoming. Pretty lame.

    Some activists and politicians are trying to get chocolate milk out of schools, on the rational that it isn't a healthy choice for kids. Well, the experts tend to disagree, which is what the folks over at Raise Your Hand for Chocolate Milk are trying to tell everyone. They simply want chocolate milk to remain a choice in school, since it is a simple, healthy way for children to to get important nutrients. Right now I believe the proposed chocolate milk removal only applies to public schools. If it applies to private schools (which I doubt, but who knows anymore), then I really want to stop it. That starts infringing on private business and personal rights way more than I am comfortable with. I mean, some homeschool groups are legally considered private schools. There is no way you are telling my mom she can't offer chocolate milk at lunch anymore (like she would listen anyway, since she only drinks chocolate milk).

     But here are my feelings on it. First, I love chocolate milk, and I'm an adult. Second, I know kids really, really love chocolate milk. There is no way I'm going to be responsible for sad kids who can't get their chocolate milk. Third - have you tasted plain milk? Unless you get some phenomenal organic or fresh-from-the-farm milk, it doesn't taste too great. It has a weird aftertaste. Bleck! And fourth - since when do they get to tell my kids what to drink? I don't have any yet, but I'm sure that some of you do. Maybe if they take the milk out of schools we could stage protests and sell glasses of chocolate milk for 5 cents outside the cafeterias. I think our point would be made, hands down. :) And lastly, if they get to take away the milk, it opens doors for legislation to take away whatever they want from cafeterias. School lunches are already horrible. Let them wash it down with something that tastes good, please.

     So go on, raise your hand for chocolate milk. Then have a nice cold glass with your favorite cookie. Aaah, delish!

~Sarai~

No comments:

Post a Comment