Monday, April 4, 2011

I am Not Marrying Prince William

I found out today that I am most definitely not marrying Prince William. And was I ever relieved!

     Now, let me explain. You see, when I was about 12 years old, I heard a story about a Princess named Diana, who died suddenly and tragically. Being 12 years old, I was at the height of my daydreaming years, when princes and queens, make believe worlds, and Victorian dresses filled my mind. Cinderella was my favorite of all princesses, particularly because she was once poor yet still won the heart of the prince and went on to live happily ever after. Ah, to marry a prince.

     I soon discovered that Princess Diana had two sons, who were princes (of course). Real, live princes! And not much older than I! I immediately determined that here was my chance,  my Cinderella dream come true! I too could marry a prince! My imagination went wild. Of course, it would have to be Prince William, since he was next in line for the crown. I wanted to be queen someday, so Prince Harry would never do. And once I saw a picture of Prince William, I knew my fate was sealed. Not only was he a prince, but good-looking too! In my silly youthfulness, I decided he was not only good-looking, but the handsomest man I had ever seen! I dreamed on,  scheming up story after story of how I would meet this Crown Prince-to-be, how he would be instantly smitten, and we would then marry to live happily ever after, ruling Great Britain with grace and wisdom.

   There was just one small problem - I was neither gracious nor wise at this point in my life. But I couldn't see it. I only knew I wanted a prince, and he would be the one.

     Every girl wants a prince. It's hardwired into us, so much so that has become cliche. Countless books, movies, and fairy tales are based upon the girl-meets-prince-becomes-princess-and-all-her-trials-are-over-plot. Eleven years later, I have come to realize that just because a boy may be a prince, it does not guarantee he is worth waiting for. At all. Nor does marriage, to a prince or a pauper, guarantee and end to the trials of life. Ever.

     Recently I realized that Prince William had a serious girlfriend, who then became his fiance. I read up on them a little, wondering if he turned out to be the wonderful Prince Charming. As it turns out, I would have been miserable if I had dated (or rather, courted,) him. He met and "fell" for a girl wearing a see-through dress at a college fashion show. He partied with her, slept with her, did everything that I would not want my boyfriend to do with me.

     And so, I find myself relieved that I will not be the bride walking down the aisle on April 29th, 2011, to marry the Prince William of Great Britain. There lingers a twinge of remorse that I, like many girls, will never actually get to be royalty - just think of the beautiful dresses and hats!

     And yet - why can't I act with the grace and inner beauty expected of royalty? After all, my Father is the King of Kings. Why shouldn't I dress with care, and go out of my way to be friendly to all I come across during my day? Why shouldn't I be quick to share a smile, and to cheerfully serve those around me? And as the King's daughter, do I think that He will provide any less than a kingly prince for me to marry one day? Oh, he won't be a crown prince of some European country, nor will he necessarily be so good-looking I am instantly smitten - but those things don't matter. What is in his heart, his character when no one else is around - those are most important. You see, a prince worthy of your heart must possess in his own heart the character of Christ. Then, and only then, is he even worthy of your consideration.

Don't settle. Don't rush to secure your future to someone simply because he seems so perfect for you. Don't fear that if you don't get this one certain prince, no one else will ever do. Wait on the Lord.

~Elena~

No comments:

Post a Comment